Mirror, mirror on the wall.. why don't I look like them?



Growing up I struggled on many occasions, like almost every other girl, with my image. Looking at myself in the mirror at times brought up endless questions and the desire to be different.. to look different. I would drown my thoughts with what I 'should' look like or what I 'could' look like, never accepting or loving who it is that God had created me to be. 

Yes, I believe God has given us the responsibility to be good stewards of the bodies we have been given by watching what we put into our mouths and by being active. But even whilst being good stewards of our physical selves, we need to take care of our mental and spiritual sides which have a direct impact on how we view our outer selves. And that is what I was neglecting then and in more recent times as well.

By drowning my thoughts with images that I was comparing myself to and setting as the standard of what I should look like I was not only hurting myself. I believe that I was hurting God. 

In the book of Romans 12, Paul writes and tells us to "not conform to the patterns of this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds." Focusing too much on my outward appearance and flooding my mind with images that to which don't reflect His view of us, was polluting and putting away any positive truth about my image and myself as a person. I became ignorant of the beauty that God had placed on the inside of me and focused on working more on the beauty outside of me rather than outworking the beauty that he has gifted us all with.  If I were honest, I still have days where I find myself not liking what I see in the mirror. But, I believe that as I continue to put His word of truth into my heart (Psalm 119:11), my image will be completely restored and I will grow in complete confidence through the knowing of His heart towards me. No other opinion matters than His thoughts about me.

To finally be able to rest assured in the truth of His heart toward me, will definitely break some chains in this area of my life and many others as well. (John 8:32)

So each day, by the grace of the His spirit I will set my mind on higher things and the truth of what His word says about me, and not what this world throws at me. 

"Finally, brothers and sisters, 
whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right,whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-
think about such things."
- Philippians 4:8 NIV