Define Y O U


There's way too many people in the world. Way too many for you to be a duplicate of someone else. Think about the colour of your hair, eyes & skin. The shape of your nose, lips & chin. Don't think about how it makes you different, think about how those features make you, you.

Are you pear shaped, apple shaped, coke bottled shaped or flavoured like a chocolate milkshake?.. what on earth! who came up with that? I don't know about you, but the last time I checked, I didn't exactly see a piece of fruit or drink bottle staring back at me in the mirror.

Body shape and body image, has always been a never ending story for me of what I think I should look like and what I try to look like. In fact, these days it's become an 'every girl' almost every day thing. Yes, we could blame the vast array of model and female exploitation defined by the media for the destructive and one sided imagery that it portrays. Skinny sells & sex sells, who knows what will sell in 10 years from now. "I want to be skinny and have a flat stomach," a common thought that has played in my mind and also a common line I have heard throughout high school and through the mouths of girl friends. We have been deceived and been hit by the 'comparison plague.' I finally got to the point where I had enough of the 'striving motions' to try and be super skinny and super hot like a sunrise. I like my pasta, I like chocolate (here & there) and I also love a balanced, healthy diet.

I purchased a diet plan last year from a blonde and skinny bikini model who is well known for her clean eating diet plan and helping women to achieve their body weight and image goals. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look great and have the body of a swimsuit model. The issue that I am trying to raise is that my motive was wrong. I became consumed with imagery of bikini models and fitness fanatics that it began to define what I thought was normal and acceptable for me to appear to others as. Each time I continued to look at those images, I felt my peace being disturbed and my spirit began to grieve. I got myself to the point where if I ate something that wasn't planned (McDonalds lol) or I wasn't able to have enough time for the gym, that I would cry. Now, as silly as that might sound, that is the straight plain truth girlfriend. In my last moment of frustration and tears I finally realised that this was wrong and it wasn't the lifestyle that God had for me. I repented in prayer and asked God to cleanse and renew my mind to the image of how he saw me. From that point, I have been defining who I am and accepting my body, with the understanding that I am responsible still to keep myself fit and healthy from the perspective of a renewed Godly understanding of my image. Learning to accept my body is one the best things I ever made the decision to do and yes, it is a decision. Is that too hard to do?

It is such a burden to bear having to feel like you should look and feel like someone else or what is trending right now. God freed me from that thinking and my focus now is on being the best me only I can be.

"What matters is not your outer appearance - the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes - but your inner disposition. Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in."
1 Peter 3:3

Cultivate inner beauty - what does that mean? It means to develop inner beauty, grow and care for your inner self, prepare and use your inner beauty for good works and use it to your advantage to win in life. The bible promises that God delights in it. It makes God happy to see you happy and loving yourself in your own skin. It will create in you Godly confidence because the bible teaches and instructs us to cultivate inner beauty. And when we're happy with who we are, our confidence builds up. 

You are not a label. The dictionary cannot define the word 'you,' except to "describe" what it is used for, so don't let the world or images you see define you. Your definition is open and limitless but just be careful what you open yourself up to. 

to be cont...