Loving on mission


"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another"
- John 13:34-35 (NIV)

There are 86,400 seconds in a day.
We live and breathe through every second, our thoughts and our mind refuse to cease. Of all those 86,400 seconds I can confidently say that most of the time, my thoughts are mostly about myself.
No matter if it's about work, finances, Alby, my career, future prospects, it all leads back to me.
Sometimes (confession) whilst I'm praying, my mind would start to drift and I'll suddenly realise that I'm thinking about what's going to happen tomorrow or next week. Point being is that I don't use the time that I have to think or love on others.

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one another."
- 1 John 3:16

Growing up with my history of feeling love deprived, thinking about me was a regular exercise. Because I wasn't receiving what I needed from who I needed it from or truly understanding my true source of love and acceptance, I was always tugging at people with the indirect questions of 'What about me?' All that tugging only served to push people away from me or suffocate them.

Walking through this journey of faith and christianity has helped broaden what love means to me. Knowing Jesus and experiencing His fierce love creates this desire in me for others to be able to know His love just like I do. No matter the depths of emptiness and absence of love that you may feel regardless of what your reality is, the truth is that Jesus can fill you with the power of His love. And once you have had the slightest taste and glimpse, He will empower you to love others. As I mentioned before, I began to suffocate others with my attempts to get love and feel loved on the inside. It only ruined and damaged valuable relationships. Choosing to give love to others has a different effect and power but to understand the kind of love that gives, first requires accepting Jesus and the love He so wants you to feel. Choose today to receive His love in your heart and join me on the journey in knowing Him.

Friend, Jesus is not a ruler of hearts. He is a keeper. A keeper of treasure or a keeper of a home does not treat what is in their hands or 'possession' carelessly. A keeper tends to what's been entrusted into their care, nurtures, feeds, fixes and carefully looks after the very thing they are holding. That is the same with Jesus. He doesn't force or trick people to be allowed into their day to day life, He earns our trust by His gentle and peaceful being and by what He has done for us on that cross 2000 years ago. Jesus will enter your life only at your will, only if you give your heart to Him and whatever has been broken and is lacking in your heart, then you can trust that Jesus will take care of it. He's got you. The love, joy and peace that begins to transform your whole self, will start to outpour on to others calling you to speak love of His name, Jesus. And to show His love to others too. This is my prayer for you.

Learning how to love people, as we are encouraged by Jesus and through our journey of faith and trusting of Jesus, takes a bit of practice. In a devotional by Joyce Meyer she writes, "As humans we are inherently selfish, constantly asking 'What about me?'" Making a decision to take the first steps to give to others, not just in monetary ways, is the first battle towards victory. Every day we must make the choice to say no to our selfishness and wants and choose to substitute it for sacrificing our time for another or engaging in conversation with someone close to you, how about your family or close friends? It's the simple things that put us on the road to loving but its the genuine and godly kind of love that has power and impact. Don't do it just because you have to or because it's a good idea, ask God for the desire to want to love others genuinely. I have had to do this many times.

Take the challenge to love on mission. Remember it only takes something small and genuine to make another feel loved, you may not even understand the impact that one small kind gesture could do for another. I know I have had days where someone has just asked me how I was or smiled at me and that made a complete turn around in a 'not so good' kind of day.

So how will you choose to love another today?

Instagram/Twitter hashtags: #keeperofhearts #lovingonmission